Useful tips for smart driving
Fuel may not be costing the earth in the petrol-rich India, but cutting down on fuel consumption has many advantages, including keeping your environment healthy and clean. So here are some tips to help you conserve gas and save money as we approach summer.
- Keep your car tuned up. Cars in poor running condition use more gasoline.
- Plan trips well to avoid unnecessary driving.
- Of course we all need the air conditioner, but use it cleverly so as to cut down on fuel consumption and keep the AC running healthy. Use a lower setting, use it for a consistent and effective cooling. Never run your air conditioner with your windows open!
- Keep your windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows cause additional drag and lower your gas mileage. At high speeds, an open window can use more gas than many air conditioners (especially if they are on a low setting).
- Check your tire pressure. Over-inflated tires can actually reduce your fuel efficiency, so don’t overfill.
- If at all possible, change your work start time to avoid gridlock. Stop and go traffic hurts your gas mileage.
- Take unneeded items out of the car. You don’t need to carry heavy chains around with you all the time.
- You no longer need to warm your car up for long periods of time, especially new cars. New cars are made to run when cold.
- Don’t travel at fast speeds in low gears unless you need the compression to slow down.
- Try to drive the speed limit.
- Try to accelerate slowly when leaving the stop light. It’s not a competition with the driver in the lane next to you. The fastest person through the intersection just gets to spend more on gas.
- No need to buy the highest priced gasoline. Most cars are built to run on regular unleaded. Check you owner’s manual or consult a mechanic. Anything above 95 octane doesn’t make any difference to the car performance.
- Revving the engine needlessly wastes gas. There is no need to rev before you turn your vehicle off.
- If at all possible, try to arrange car pools with co-workers to share the cost of commuting to work. This is a culture we all have to groom amongst us.
- Walk, bike or jog to your intended location whenever possible.